• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Franklin half-dollar set - in the raw!

10 posts in this topic

Hey James thanks for posting the set. I doubt that I will ever get over the preference for these type of coins versus slabbed coins. Whenever I go to the local show here I always thumb through the album sets the dealers have for sale.

Looks like you did a terrific job picking them out. I still think the most fun I have ever had in this hobby is pulling Lincolns out of circulation for my very first set.

James,

Looks like a well matched set. I really enjoy seeing sets built and improved that way. Several years ago, I sold away my complete Washington set (AU-BU), and I really miss them. Fortunately, I kept my other album coins. I still spend lots of time looking for better examples. I find that a pleasant diversion from the more expensive coins. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I did a Walker short set raw...but unfortunately being a newb I bought a lot of the coins from the big mail order houses and had a Dansco full of well dipped sliders. I've been slowly replacing that set, and have even bought several slabbed coins in the 63-64 range to crack out and put in the album...I just like the look of a nice album of coins... sumo.gif

REALLY nice presentation James! I like the way you have it set up coin album-style on the web. 893applaud-thumb.gif Great looking set!

Hoot

I really dig it as well...... A nice and inexpensive way to build the set, a great website to display it... All I can say is:

Be Bop A Lula!!!

I think it's a very cool set, James. smile.gif

As for the Bugs Bunny references, it has been a while since I did much with Franklins but I believe the 1955 Franklins sometimes come with an obverse die that makes Franklin look like he has buck teeth.

Hi James:

A very respectable set of Frankies indeed - great job putting those boys together, I hope you get as much enjoyment out of them as us other Frankie Fiends!

As for the question of the "Bugs Bunny" Franklins, these are die clashed coins where part of the wing of the eagle imprinted on the obverse die, creating what looks like buck teeth on old Ben. The variety exsts most notably in 1955 coins, but is also known in 1951 and 1954 coins.

Frank