• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAC dealer poll on Certified Coin Exchange (CCE)

83 posts in this topic

"From the dealers I've spoken with, a VAST majority of them thought it was a dumb idea and were against it or neutral about it."

you are very apparently talking to the wrong dealers-keep trying

OK, give me a list of CAC supporting dealers and I'll ask them and report back a 100% approval rate. I guess that is what you are looking for? Sorry my random sample didn't confirm what you were hoping to hear.

When I spoke to several dealers asking about CAC (this was few months ago), the majority had no idea and no real opinion either way. However, I didn't hear a single dealer specifically state about how great an idea he thought it was. A couple of minority opinions thought it was a bad idea.

So, I suspect the true "majority" opinion is neither "good" nor "bad", but no opinion.

For what it's worth!

but that kind of information is generally gathered before making a decision to launch a venture.

Ya think? That's why I don't put any trust into this poll...the results don't match what was verbally [and privately] communicated previously by the dealers that matter.

Perhaps the dealers "who matter" were predisposed to your way of thinking. I guess the dealers with whom I've spoken don't matter from your point of view. (No, neither CC nor Parker is among those with whom I've spoken.)

"From the dealers I've spoken with, a VAST majority of them thought it was a dumb idea and were against it or neutral about it."

you are very apparently talking to the wrong dealers-keep trying

OK, give me a list of CAC supporting dealers and I'll ask them and report back a 100% approval rate. I guess that is what you are looking for? Sorry my random sample didn't confirm what you were hoping to hear.

When I spoke to several dealers asking about CAC (this was few months ago), the majority had no idea and no real opinion either way. However, I didn't hear a single dealer specifically state about how great an idea he thought it was. A couple of minority opinions thought it was a bad idea.

So, I suspect the true "majority" opinion is neither "good" nor "bad", but no opinion.

For what it's worth!

sounds like the dealers comments from mid to late 80s regarding the upcoming emergence of dominant TPGs and slabbing in general, we now know how that turned out.

Perhaps the dealers "who matter" were predisposed to your way of thinking

Or perhaps they saw the same problems the rest of us saw & were interested in something to fix them...

Perhaps.

Everyone knows that the coin market is chock-full of overgraded/low-end/market-graded coins and most coin collectors don't see enough coins in hand to know what coins that are solid for their grades should look like. The result is a mess.

Did these dealers offer any better solutions to the problem? I haven't heard any.

Rick Snow has managed to make his PhotoSeal system work for his niche area, Flying Eagle and Indian Head cents. So, this type of marketing strategy is workable in principle. And, I have heard a number of other dealers privately b**ch about his system (because it is working for him).

Let's be pragmatic about this. A key reason why TPG's are still in business is because of collector acceptance as a sort of shield against dealer/seller shenanigans. Unfortunately, slab grading has evolved to the point where the grades cause considerable mistrust and public debate, and even enable dealers/sellers to overcharge their customers/buyers in some cases. And there is no effective policing of dealers who intentionally rip-off customers when buying or selling. Any system that will help to clean up even a part of this problem is one that I think should be given a chance. I fully expect that many (if not most) dealers would not support this.

So, what is this dealer poll worth? Nada

CC, You've been mentioning the fat lady warming up for several months now. Don't you think her voice is warm yet, or should we not believe what you're saying? Just wondering...Mike

The poll is being run by Westwood.
How do I get to the poll? I usually only check prices there and don't see a link to a poll. Thanks.

You're not listed as a member, at least not among the dealers from California.

The latest CAC poll numbers on CCE are:

6 For 5 Neutral 65 Against

Supposedly the poll will run through tomorrow.

\

Dosn't surprise me one bit.

Why doesn't it surprise you one bit that "the poll will run through tomorrow"? (shrug)

;)

Mark,

The poll was in the FACTS side of the network. Dominck was running message every few minutes soliciting votes. Some posted their opinions on open network and others sent them to him via Directs. There was so much fur flying, I doubt anyone could accurately tally the results, yet it did tend toward the opposed. Actually, most of the "opposed" votes were more of the "I don't think the service is needed" flavor than the "I'm against it" flavor.

If you have acccess to the FACTS side of the network, just do a search on CAC for the past week. There are couple of hundred or so posts on CAC. Most relate the "poll" but several or bids or ask on CAC stickered coins.

WH

I usually only check prices there and don't see a link to a poll. Thanks

Hi Mark,

The poll was not run by CCE, - it wasn't one of those polls that calculated and showed you results as they happen, the puported results were tallied and reported privately by posting messages on CCE. That pretty much makes it suspect since there is no way to verify that anyone responded at all. It's pretty easy to just post numbers every hour or so.