• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has Anyone Else Noticed The New One-Per-Year 1794-1807 Early Half Sets?

8 posts in this topic

NGC has finally added a one-per-year early half dollar set to the registry. Previously, if one wanted to put FH or DB halves into the NGC registry one would need to participate in the 1794-1839 or the 1794-1807 sets that both required varieties. Therefore, even if one chose the shorter 1794-1807 set, this relatively short span of 14 years and 10 date issues meant that those who wanted a complete set according to the registry would need to own 21 coins. What might be the harm of those extra issues? Well, if one were to own the 10 coins as one-per-year in VF20, which is a rather pleasing grade for these types, then one would need to spend $124,440 according to the Greysheet and would truly need much more than that to get accurately graded, attractive coins. However, with varieties that number becomes $232,345! The first sum is astounding and the second sum is overwhelming. It's nice to see some sanity come into play here since Seated halves, Barber halves and WLHs all have offered the one-per-year option long ago and these sets are generally not as tough to find and obtain as the early halves. As a way to break-in this new option, I have listed some coins and with tongue firmly planted in cheek have written that it is finest all time. Perhaps I could market it this way? hm

Way to go, NGC! (thumbs u

I think that it is a great thing for collectors like you and Mike King but it is way over my head and ambitions. Heck, I'd be happy to just finish my half dollar types. :blush:

Tom,

Honestly, I didn't notice and don't even collect these coins.....but, i want to applaud NGC for making this set available. One more example of their attention to the collector!