• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What process assures anonymity of submitters?

2 posts in this topic

I think the most crucial factor to third party grading, even more important than the actual accuracy of the grades, is that the grading be unbiased. For that to be true, it is critical that the graders be unaware of who is submitting the coins for grading. My questions are:

(1) What process is in place to assure anonymity of the submitter?

(2) Is this process audited?

(3) Is it possible for this process to be overcome, let's say for sinister motives?

Anyone able to enlighten on this?

James

From what I understand about PCGS, the company administrator knows who submits, how frequently, how many submissions, what tier level of submissions. The graders do not know who the submitters are. However, often times a grader will have seen a particular coin with a particular dealer, so that MAY skew the grading a wee bit. The grader does know at what tier the coin is graded, economy versus express. The boxes of coins are color coded as to level of service.Since PCGS is a public company, the books may be audited. In early 1990's, the FTC audited the grading process of PCGS and found that the company applies coin grading in a legal and ethical manner. However, that was before the company went public. The process of grading can always become sinister, but it is not in the best interests of the company to do this. The industry is very small, and if one or two particular dealers become favored, the word would get out quickly, ruining the grading company's reputation, not to mention the millions of dollars in coin graded value.

TRUTH news.gif