• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1975 State coins

6 posts in this topic

Greetings everyone. I have a Penny that was minted in 1975. It has an image of Washington State alongside of the Lincoln head. Also the letters: WA are imprinted on it. I was wondering if anyone has any information on these coins, since I have discovered there are other states on some other pennies. I have been unable to find any information in all my web searching on these pennies. Would anyone know approximately how much they are worth, if anything? I also inquired to the Washington University library and they had no information. Thank You very much.

If I remember right, they are post mint alterations done to commemorate the bicentennial of the US. Not really any added value, I'm afraid, other than the fun of owning and having a set.

These were popular back in the '70's and are frequently seen with the states on coins between 1975 and 1978. There were at least four series of these produced by at least three producers. There are also large numbers of other designs which were impressed into already struck Lincolns of this era. These have a VERY small collector base and finding a collector interested in your piece is improbable though you might want to check e-bay. I don't have enough experience to spot rarities but usually pay no more than 50cents or a dollar for new pieces for my collection.