• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is a "registry quality" coin?

60 posts in this topic

sign-rantpost.gifReading through the last piece of recyclable material that David Hall sends out, I was struck by the term I've seen many times before: "Registry Quality." This term began to gnaw away at me and now it simply pi$$es me off. I cannot think of a more deplorable way of stating, "Pony up the money and join the hotties at the top of the heap." Grrrrrr.........

We've discussed the idea that money buys great coins, and that's not my point. My point is that I think the registries need to showcase collections of any semblance of individual taste, consensus, and order. It's a forum for showcasing knowledge as much as anything, and a true spirit of collecting, NOT COMPETITION. 893frustrated.gif

I wish there were many sets that showcased great collections of F12 to VF20 coins, or whatever. For many issues, finding problem-free coins in those grades is VERY tough. Imagine a problem-free and graded set of AG03 large cents!!! THAT would be a tough collection to make! Or a perfect set of AU Washington quarters! Are those coins "Registry Quality?" But what a registry set those would be! Not in foulballhall's book. tonofbricks.gif

893frustrated.gif Hoot 893frustrated.gif

I DO NOT KNOW WAHT A REGISTRY QUALITY COIN IS BUT I AM SURE SOME ARE GREAT AND FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN AND heard many are not even good coins but still registry quality

i guess you have to make your own decisions for yourself what you like as if you start taking other peoples words on what is quality as most if not all have vested interests and that is not good or bad juast the way it is but i think most of these vested interests are not in the end users interests flamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gif

for me in my opinion show me a coin and i will tell you if it is michael quality

and if so then you got a really great coin!!!!!!!!!!!!!! juggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gifflowerred.gif

michael

i think hoot sums it up really very well and i think in my opinion he is saying that in a very nice way

there are some maybe lots? of vested interests promoting coins and that is not a good or bad thing as life is about cohices and they are not selling necessities

but i think hoot is saying that many promoters the coins they are promoting are not exactly the type of coins i would be buying as the coins some are promoting make me very uncomfortable and againh that is me! and also i would not feel good putting my family or friends into these coins! as i couild not sleep at night

but i guess i have a conscience lol again just me

so please do not take this thread personally if you get offended as i never mentioned any names or coins just do not let your guilty conscience deep down inside you let me be *YOUR* scape goat lol take respnosibility for yourself and your own actions and iuf you do something fine thwsty is your choice just do not flame me for your fear and guilt!

flowerred.gifflowerred.gif

michael

sign-rantpost.gifReading through the last piece of recyclable material that David Hall sends out, I was struck by the term I've seen many times before: "Registry Quality." This term began to gnaw away at me and now it simply pi$$es me off. I cannot think of a more deplorable way of stating, "Pony up the money and join the hotties at the top of the heap." Grrrrrr.........

There's an easy way to solve this problem Hoot. Anything from DHRC now goes straight to my spam filter. wink.gif

My new Flowing Hair Half in F-12 isn't Registry Quality, but that didn't stop two dealers from spending half an hour trying to pry it out of my posession at a local show. If they like it, I must have done something right.

I wish there were many sets that showcased great collections of F12 to VF20 coins, or whatever. For many issues, finding problem-free coins in those grades is VERY tough.

Okay, Hoot, now the gloves are off! 893whatthe.gifwink.gif Are you somehow suggesting that my PF10 Gobrecht dollar is not a Registry coin? 893naughty-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif I'll show you! wink.gif

47398.jpg

Take that, you uppity-my-coins-are-better-than-PF10 Registry hound snob! wink.gif

Okay, I hope you all know that I was kidding around with Hoot in this post! stooges.gif

Tom - Is that the foil-wrapped chocolate Gobrecht that you got PCGS to grade? God, I hate that coin. 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

There's an easy way to solve this problem Hoot. Anything from DHRC now goes straight to my spam filter. smile.gif

True, but unfortunately I've seen it in many more places than halitosishall's ads. IT'S RAMPANT, I TELL YOU, RAMPANT!!!

tonofbricks.gif Hoot tonofbricks.gif

I think "registry quality" was a term invented by the people who frequent PCGS's Registry forum as a means of selling coins in this forum instead of the BST forum. insane.gif

In general, I think that the term is usually reserved for ultra high grade (modern)coins with low populations, or a classic coin that is particularly rare whatever the grade, although the higher grade the better. laugh.gif

I don't believe thats possible hoot... The reason I say that is for these lofty grades there must be a certian look, the coins do have to be hit free, but they must also have a certian type of luster that really shines through stunning toning....

this is what seems to seperate a ms67 from a ms66......

but to answer your question, if these exact two coins were 4's, I'd still love them, their colors are... well, crazy man crazy!

Well, the Registry snobbery is alive and well. I was once asked by a top PCGS grader "why would you want to Register your AU58's? The Registry is used for top MS coins..." or some such. And here I thought it was just a fun place to show off your coins. Oh well....

As to the DHRC "literature" I usually end up taking it to the restroom to read...no...wait...I use it to...uh...never mind. laugh.gif

jom

Well, the Registry snobbery is alive and well.

frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

jom - I truly wish you'd put your set up here, but it's always good to look at on your site! Nice looking AU gold pieces are hard to find.

Hoot

When it comes to Merc Dimes if it is not 66FB the coin does not belong in a registry. Snobbery at its finest.

Opps.....some 63's and 64's show in a certain set. Darn I cannot be a Snob. grin.gif

If you like the coin.....Enter the thing with a picture. Others will probably enjoy the coin also.

Ken

263140-27D63FBO.JPG.146f11b6ad04270c36b1398c4dceb364.JPG

As to the DHRC "literature" I usually end up taking it to the restroom to read...no...wait...I use it to...uh...never mind

Now THAT would be a primary purpose of HisRoyalHighness' hype newsletters in my household.

I usually take the DHRC material to the restroom for another purpose, other than reading! To me, he represents the "Value Line" (stock pusher rag) of coin pusher rags. Like I am really going to sell my MS65FBL Franklins because he says to! Ha!

A "Registry Coin" to me is what you make it. I have several sets, including Frankies, Roosies etc. that will never be even in the Top 20 Registry Sets. Did that stop me? No, I built the sets anyhow because I wanted to. All these sets have nice original coins in whatever grade, that I like, and I really don't care where they are in the overall scheme of Top-Pop Sets.

I have some sets that are in the registry Top 10, but do not have any coins above MS66-67 in these sets. In some cases, these sets also contain many AU58 to MS65 coins. Additionally, I pulled all my sets from PCGS over 2 years ago, because I objected to the tyranny of having to collect only PCGS graded coins.

To me registry quality has nothing to do with price or even really rarity. A registry quality coin is a coin which would improve the collection of a registry participant. It will in some cases be a ten or twenty dollar coin but sometimes the minimum may be much higher.

The term "Registry Quality" when translated from NewSpeak to standard American English reads "Manufactured Rarity."

Beijim

Except for the Orwellian overtones this is exactly true.

Some rarities are manufactured in very small numbers and others acquire rarity by not having been preserved.

It is neither the manufacture nor the rarity that gives coins their value so much as it is the demand.

It is neither the manufacture nor the rarity that gives coins their value so much as it is the demand.

Makes you wonder what part of the human mind all of this speaks to! gossip.gifmakepoint.gif

Hoot

"Registry Quality Coin" is a cheap marketing tactic used to suck people into buying coins that will get big points in the registry. It helps to take people's emphasis off their individual collecting tastes and puts it on the high point value of certain coins. What is there to explain?

"Registry Quality Coin" is a cheap marketing tactic used to suck people into buying coins that will get big points in the registry. It helps to take people's emphasis off their individual collecting tastes and puts it on the high point value of certain coins. What is there to explain?

This would be a good theory except that it's my understanding that this term was first used on the registry forum by participants. In any case though, is there a more descriptive term that you'd recommend?

This would be a good theory except that it's my understanding that this term was first used on the registry forum by participants. In any case though, is there a more descriptive term that you'd recommend?

The term is being used by dealers, first of all. It really doesn't matter who coined the phraise. Now, to get back on topic, there is no better phraise to use. If you are going to hype the registries to sell your inventory, this phraise is definitely the way to go. I was simply making clear exactly what the term means.

Registry Quality Coin" is a cheap marketing tactic used to suck people into buying coins that will get big points in the registry. It helps to take people's emphasis off their individual collecting tastes and puts it on the high point value of certain coins. What is there to explain?

Thanks for the clarification but you entirely misapprehend my motives. It just didn't seem fair to slam the people and their coins for the only offence of enjoying the registries. Perhaps such things could be overlooked but these are in many cases the same coins that I love.

Registry Quality Coin" is a cheap marketing tactic used to suck people into buying coins that will get big points in the registry. It helps to take people's emphasis off their individual collecting tastes and puts it on the high point value of certain coins. What is there to explain?

It might even be added that it's equally if not more unfair to slam the people who provide these registries.