• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This look like altered surface?

12 posts in this topic

This one really has me stumped. It is either VERY nice (but hairlined as expected in a 64) or it has been treated in some way.

The fields are watery and come exactly up to the devices so it doesn't fit the normal whizzo status.

But the letters are bumpy on top like sandblasting as is the face. NO trace of it other than on RAISED devices. Doesn't seem WORTH putting a bunch of work into the process.

But it frazzles me. See what you think.

The whole coin

The neck area.....bumpply

The rough appearing cheek

The wreath area.....again rough.

Barber quarters are not my specialty, but it looks a bit off compared to HALF DOLLAR proof devices.

But the fields are lovely watery look and seem to have no problem.

But there's always that lil ol seated dollar in the PCGS grading book that was PLATED.

Opinions?

I'm no expert in this type but for some reason I look at it and feel its the real deal.

Cannot justify it, just my gut feeling from that picture, flat fields are beautiful by the way. A really nice coin.

When I saw the first picture, I immediately thought to myself, it is a proof. I see nothing in the other pictures to dispell the thought. The devices are slightly frosted, thus the bumpy look. Super looking coin with very low mintage.

If you have a business strike barber quarter ,check the rim's,usually proof rim's are "wider and flatter" than mint state rim's.

From the field's it doe's look proof,also possible "overused" proof die...what's the reverse look like.

Any way, nice coin...I collect VF-XF barber halve's.

Rob

Count, Here is a picture of my Proof 64. It has similiar roughness on the cheek. You can't really see the neck in my photo but I assure it has the same look as yours. Don't worry, you have a beautiful coin there.

589a8b3013078_263244-1893pf64halfobv.JPG.9c3260c8de005c28a858985794bde3a4.JPG