• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

why would i ever join a registry 'club'

40 posts in this topic

don't get me wrong, i'd like to have my.. let's say lincoln set 'registered'. in fact i'd love to, i'm sure i would do relatively well. but it would cost around 6 grand to have them all slabbed..

who in their right mind does this? just for an online competition.

i'll keep mine in the album and to myself i guess. and use the $6k for anything else..

are there any deals for bulk submissions?

Some people collect slabbed coins, and buy them slabbed from the start. They don't have to spend the grading fees to get them in a registry. They just buy the coins already slabbed.

Others, like yourself, prefer to collect raw in albums. That's great also. Registries aren't necessary for raw coin collectors.

So, to answer your question, I can't imagine anyone in their right mind would spend $6,000 on grading fees just to have their raw coins put into slabs. I could understand buying slabs and assembling a set that way, but not having an already-complete raw collection completely slabbed.

Your link is to MY.ebay.com so theres the first mistake

What you want to do is go to one of your own listings (as others would), then click "view sellers other items", then copy the current URL from the address bar

Back on topic

You might want to show off your efforts

You might want the added benefit of additional protection for your coins. People can admire them with you without any fear that if they drop it, it costs you a grand.

You would get a discount for a bulk submission for sure, by the sounds at least some of your collection is worth grading !

It's good way to show off your collection without having to take it out of the safe deposit box.

Which leads me to wonder, why are some of the top sets almost totally useless with no pictures and no write-ups?

And why is a certain leading collection shown with no public access whatsoever to see evan a listing of the coins in the set? If I were running the registry, I'd give those guys the boot. :baiting:

Right on ! if you are too lazy to scan or photo your coins, don't make the set :D

As it stands, I could make a fake set saying I have all these other coins, right ?

This is disappointing....

I might be one of those lazy people you talk about. I must admit that I have no scans of my coins. I don't have a scanner or ever needed to scan a coin before, but it is on my list of things to do this fall. My registry has quite alot of coins( almost 500) and it will take me some time. I didn't know it was a prerequisite for having a registry set. I have been collecting NGC graded coins for a while now and just started registering my sets this year. What kind of writeups would you like to see? I collect mostly modern coins with a grade of 69 or 70. Shouldn't the coin speak for itself. It will be a major time consuming effort but I will try to satisfy. I don't actually like the fact that someone's collection can be deemed better than your's because they have the same coins but have more pictures and write-ups.

You cannot make a fake set because the serial numbers will not match up with the coin and a registered coin can only be owned by one person. That is the purpose of the census and registering a coin

Modern coins have stories and histories. You must know some of this information. Otherwise why do you collect these items? If you don't know at story or the history of a coin perhaps you should look it up. Trust me it will enhance your enjoyment of your collection many times over.

Pictures provide a view of the piece to others. I agree that that modern coins in (I presume) in PR-69 and 70 are have a uniform appearance. For that reason pictures are not as important. Older coins can look radically different even in the same grade, so pictures add a lot to your registry set.

It’s very easy to fake a set on the registry if you are not required to have pictures. All you need to do is go shows and copy down the date, mint mark, variety (if necessary), grade and serial number. After a while you will have a “collection” that could be near the top. No one can prove or disprove that you own the coins UNLESS someone else tries to register the same coin. The vast majority of coins are never registered. Therefore one could get away with this for a long period of time.

And yes, people have been caught doing this. And yes, when they get caught red handed, they get the boot. But chances of doing it are really pretty good.

And yes there have been instances of people “renting” serial numbers for a while to boost their registry standing. And if you want to be on the really safe side, you can register coins have been cracked out of their holders. Old slips are still valid because the TPGs don’t know that a coin as been cracked out unless they receive the inserts and knock the coins off their records.

Creating a false R*egistry set is extremely easy and all one needs to do is either go to the Heritage archives and copy down the cert numbers of the coins sold of go to ebay and copy down the cert numbers. Most coins sold on these two venues will not currently be in a set.

I disagree with one point.If you go on EBay you can see the slabs with Certification numbers on them.Some have drawn a line through the Certification number and some do not.Anyone can get on the Internet and go to a dealer and see the slabs with the Certification numbers. People could make a Registry set with these numbers and even display the pictures of them.

The problem would arise when somebody was looking through the Registry and saw their number I don't know if it is the case but I suspect that NGC will not allow one to enter a Cerification number if it already exists in a Registry..In this case, a person who actually owns the Coin is going to ask and wonder why they can't enter the number.I would think there would be Penalties in this case.

Have there ever been any cases of people who have a Registry set and sell their coins or part of them and don't remove them.In this case the picture would mean nothing.

The Regist ry doesn't have to imply competition. I'll never have the number one set and don't even know where I rank, and don't really care. What I do like about the registry is that I've learned a lot about other peoples collections and a lot about coins that I would otherwise know nothing about. So, it can be a really enjoyable thing to construct a set and display it. It's just plain fun!

You can't make up a fake number as when you try to enter them then it will be refused. If you try to enter a number that is already in a Registry then my understanding is that NGC sends an E- MAIL to both people and asks the original person to remove it as it is being entered else where..At his point the person entering the false number will be eliminated from the NGC board.

I have purchased many slabbed American Eagles in both the MS70 and MS69 condition.When I joined NGC I sent in 5 raw coins as it was free with ny voucher.It is a STUCK THRU error in MS69. I also bought the 20th Anniversary set directly from thr U.S. Mint last year and paid $109.00 +$4.95 and opened it and looked at it and put it in my Safe Deposit Box. I then found out that the set did not qualify for the black label since it had not been forwarded to NGC unsealed except for the Reverse Proof.I sent it into NGC for grading and it came back as a PF70.

I was thinking about using the 1987 Error coin in my Registry as it is a MS69 as is the non-error MS69 but I believe that the Registry will not accept error coins if I read it correctly.I have all the Proof Eagles in raw state and have sent 18 of them in for grading. I will now have two 2006W Proofs as the one does not qualify for the Black Label.I got on E bay and got a 2006 Black label Proof in PF70 and a Black label in MS69 for $237.00 including Postage.

I disagree that you can just put any number in all the time.You might put in a number that works but it might come back as a lincoln set instead of the Silver eagle you are trying to get.The other day I did not put in a number correctly for a 1995 A.S.E. MS70. A Silver Eagle did come up but it was for a MS69 and made me look again. Other times it will come back as an invalid number.

The Regist ry doesn't have to imply competition. I'll never have the number one set and don't even know where I rank, and don't really care. What I do like about the registry is that I've learned a lot about other peoples collections and a lot about coins that I would otherwise know nothing about. So, it can be a really enjoyable thing to construct a set and display it. It's just plain fun!

Good points Mike. (thumbs u

I have my coins in the registry so my collection can be seen and enjoyed by any one willing to take a look at them. If I didn’t create my online sets only a few people would ever see my coins.

And that’s no fun…

It’s also provides a remote inventory of your collection, with photos you can have a complete listing of your collection; (hope never to be glad I have though :eek:).

Mckinley, you make a good point. I would never send in my albums to get graded and slabbed to include in the Registry. However, I like to collect an album set, a registry set {or 2 } and am always working on my Sailing Ship themed signature set. My favorite part about the registry is working on my signature set--a non competetive set---for fun. I find sailing ship themed coins, list them in the set, enjoy photoing the coins to display and then I research the country/ship/explorer or just any history I can find on the ship/coin to add into the description slot. It's a lot of fun for me, is a true hobby, and is a bit more fun for me than just pressing the coin in its hole and looking for the next hole to fill.

Remember though, I have many nice albums and love album collecting for its own merit. I like the look of all the coins lined up. I like the compactness, I ESPECIALLY like actually feeling the weight and roundness of the coin in my fingers.

If you want to see another side of the registry that is quite enjoyable go to the registry and type in my name {Jackson} under "look for member" then when my page pops up click on Signature Sets tab..then click HIGH SEAS {name of the set} and enjoy !!

imo there are some good reasons to slab a set of coins and spend those mega bucks. in this life, sometimes you gotta spend: your insurance isn't covering root canal this year. your boiler breaks down. you want to get married in a nice place and offer your guests something to eat and drink.

or you inherit a rather large set of coins the red book is telling you might be somewhat valuable. you're sitting and looking at them under all kinds of magnification and reading the books and you realize you don't know what you're doing and asking professionals means trusting strangers with your coins. they're in business to make money.

your next questions would probably be:

how valuable is this collection? which coins are extremely valuable? which coins have been cleaned or tampered with? could there be any counterfeits in the collection? who puts value to them? will insurance cover your collection should they be stolen or accidentally destroyed? what if you want to sell a couple because now you like coins and you'd like to add to some of this collection? how much should you expect to get from raw coins considering you don't know squat?

coins are great to collect, this I am slowly learning. they're historical, they're gorgeous, they're valuable, they're an investment of time and money and in the case of Morgans, they're really really fun. but in the end they have a dollar value. sometimes it makes sense to have that value ascertained by professionals.

last a really good reason to slab: it protects them, gives immediate value and makes them marketable to a certain degree, no questions asked.

ymmv

CCC

I am new to the club myslef and that was one of the first things that i notcied. How can NGC hold anyone accountable for the coins that "they say" are in their Registry? Whats stopping someone from c&p ing pics of coins all throughout the interenet and say that those coins are in their possession and they own them??? I guess its all on the Honor System huh? lol.

I joined to actually be able to view all of my coins in one place and show them off as i do have some pride in the sets, the Registry is a nice tool to be able to do that. But like i said, how do we know that everone is on the up & up?

Well...i just posed the question, looking for a little help, of how do i get the pics to be under 120k so i can add them? I own every coin in my newly registered sets and would love to be able to display them on the site, but NGC wont let me add pics abobe 120k. Any help would be appreciated.

To answer your photo question, you can use a photo software that will "save them for web". It doesn't take much to downsize a picture for the registry. As you downsize them, just right click each pics properties to give you the Kb size.This will enable your pics to maintian thier aspect ratio and still look good. As for copying pictures and saying you own them may be too much of a troublesome issue. The certified number is used for the registry and who knows if the coins that are chosen to copy aren't already in a registry. A person would be surprised of how many inactive members there are that have coins in a registry.

bsshog40, I see what you mean about being able to view how many k the picture is, but being a computer insufficiently_thoughtful_person, i still dont see how i can adjust the size of the pic down to below 120k. Maybe i shoudl take a course on this lol. Thanks for trying to help, i appreciate it.

No problem sir. If you have a photo software like Adobe or something, you can downsize the pic to what is needed. I think I've sized mine down to about 250pixels and it worked. You may have to experiment with what your system does. You can always resize them real small and keep uploading them until it works. Also, the photo software should have the option to "save for web" in your "save as" option. Just experiment and you will get. By the way, welcome to our humble forum there Captain. Would like to see some of your coins in the US Coins forum also.

Bobby,

Thanks again for the help and suggestions, eventually i hope i do figure it out lol. I'll get the pics up there soon. Also, thanks for welcoming me. From reading some posts', there seems to be alot of point of views and knowledge here that can only help on this coin journey.

Take care, Rich

You are rolling the dice. If you enter a certification number for a coin in the Registry and somebody else has it in a Registry etc then both parites will get an Email and the one entering it will be told that it already exists. I have had this happen several times and within 24 hours it has been accepted in my name. If you did not have the coin but entered a valid number and it existed in another Registry then you would be asked to prove it was in your possession.

I have a scanner and my Scanner software tells me the size of the slab picture. By using the lowest setting and cropping the picture I get it down to about 119.87 and then enter it in the Registry.

Captain I think you're being entirely too paranoid. Yes there can be problems with people registering coins they don't own but you have to believe that eventually the coin(s) will come to a registry participant and the person will be caught in the act.

I've given several certified coins my family but I'm the only one in the family that is one the registry. I have all of their coins registered to my account. They aren't in any sets so I get no points for them and no one can see that they're registered to me. However, if anyone ever tried to add those coins to their sets I'd know about it immediately and I would stop it. If anyone in my extended family ever joined the registry I would then release the registration of the coins to them.

I once added a coin that someone else had in their registry. They transferred the coin over to me and I noticed something when that happened. The pictures that the person had of the coin were still attached to the coin in my registry, the coin details page still had the description he had put on it and the "date added" for the coin was the day that he had registered the coin, not the day that I added it.

I think you meant that for the Captain but this has been my experience also. There have been a few times when a coi nI have purchased has still been in another Registry but I have had it cleared in less then 24 hours in all cases.

I did have one instance in which I registered the coin and was told that the other person had to be notified etc. When I did check again after I was notified by E Mail the Image had also been transferred .