• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Positive verses negative feedback! Does it affect you in anyway?

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

After reading another thread, this thought came to mind concerning positive and negative posts or feedback about sellers and buyers here in these forums and abroad, in particular, ebay, it's feedback system. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Do you find this information important and useful? Has it helped you to avoid problem sellers and buyers. Of course, we seem to hear more about the bad 893naughty-thumb.gif sellers then bad buyers.

But what about the bad seller? What can be done? After all other avenues have failed, what other recourse can be taken to get rid of these thorns of our great hobby? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Of couse, we are familiar about the "buyer beware" rules but what else can be done? confused-smiley-013.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif The fact is, a seller can leave only one negative to the buyer but 50 buyers can leave one seller 50 negative feedbacks, With this understanding, this bit of knowledge can become a very powerful tool in combating bad sellers. tonofbricks.gif By no means am I trying to gather a lynching mob by shareing this information with you. But I do believe it's everyone's responsibility to help make our hobby a safe and an enjoyable place for everyone. cloud9.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

My suggestion has to do with making a seller honest. This can be accomplish by simply buying an item at a price you can risk losing and if the item turns out to be a bad deal then the seller would then be informed that the item needs to be returned for a full refund, If there are problems returning the item and/or receiveing a full refund then this seller receives negative feedback. sumo.gif It doesn't get any simplier then that folks. makepoint.gif

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

And please, try to omit the names of bad sellers or buyers from your posts. This thread is about the importance of positive and negative feedback and suggestions to help clean up our hobby. thumbsup2.gif

Thank you,

Leo

Where EBay is concerned, I read the feed back (particularly Negative FB) and if a person demonstrates a historical pattern of shafting people, I will not buy from them. I have one Negative (out of over 250 transactions) on EBay from a would be (receive-payment-never-ship-coin) thief who did not like my rather strongly worded response to his chicanery (too bad, sooooo sad!!).

The other problem seems to be people that reregister on EBay under another name/email address. I am always a little wary of highly polished ads from people that have a very short history of EBay transactions.

Oldtrader3

The trouble with ebay's feedback system is if a seller has quite a few negatives, the problem that arises is having to take the time to locate them through all the sellers many pages of feedback. I hate that!

I read in another thread that ebay gives a "buyers beware" if seller has more then 2% negative feedbacks. But this seems to allow a seller to screw 20 buyers out of every 1000 transactions and they get away with it.

Leo

The more expensive the item of interest is, the more I look at feedback. Ebay's system is not the best by any stretch, but it can be useful. I look at neg's and see what they are for and make a determination based upon that. For example I'm more likely to bid from someone that has a few neg's for slow shipping than selling overgraded coins. I also keep in my favorites the sellers that I have had wonderful transactions with and look through their inventory first.

I read the negative feedbacks to determine if they sound legit. If they appear to be crank or revenge feedbacks I ignore them. If they appear to be legit I multiply the number of negative feedbacks by 10. I do this because many eBayers will not file negative feedbacks for fear of getting one in return.

The eBay feedback system is very poor but they show no interest in changing it.

Leo: Your correct. It is a pain to go through all the feedback pages to read the negative feedback on EBay. What I do is change page format and roll-up 200 feedbacks per page. You can roll through them very quickly and, because the Negatives are red, they are pretty easy to find with this method.

Mainly, what I look for is evidence of persistant overgrading, bait-and-switch or fraud (payment without shipment).

Yes, I am affected some by feedback. I like positive feedback, and I tend to feel bad about negative feedback. Although the user rating here on this board doesn't affect me as I've seen people give me a 1 just because they didn't like something I said and people give everyone a 5 to be nice.

As far as the issue with the seller, it's a risk they take by selling. It's overall no different than having customers complain in real life. The biggest issue is that other customers can more readily read the complaints. But with the whole retaliatory negative thing... Just ridiculous in ebay.

I personally never recommend vigilante feedback on ebay. Doesn't really solve anything.