Vincent Bellman

0
  • entries
    2
  • comments
    23
  • views
    458

Madison County (AL) Coin Club is BACK!

2 2
VKurtB

409 views

Has Your Coin Club Resumed Normal Meetings?  

8 members have voted

  1. 1. Has Your Coin Club Resumed Normal Meetings?

    • Yes, or now about to.
    • No
    • I belong to no coin clubs.

On Tuesday evening, June 22, 2021, the Madison County Coin Club of Huntsville, Alabama rose Phoenix-like from the ashes of COVID shutdowns. For now, it has a new home, and for the retro-members, a “newish” meeting night. “Funny, you don’t LOOK newish.” The meeting place had been firmly established only 7 days prior. The club now meets in the same building as the Huntsville Gem & Mineral Society, on the site of the former Virgil I. “Gus” Grissom Middle School at 7901 Bailey Cove Road SE in Huntsville. Fear not, Grissom fans; he has a new school named for him. 
 

Huntsville is the fastest growing town in the Gulf south, and will soon surpass both Mobile and Montgomery in population. Even Birmingham’s #1 in Alabama position is not safe. 
 

Any time a club resumes operation, there is trepidation. Did folks get the email? Was the website updated correctly? Have people lost interest? The answers are a resounding yes, yes, and no. The room was full. I grabbed a chair along a wall. It was my first meeting. I only moved to northern Alabama this past December. The club graciously accepted my application. 
 

The club’s meeting pattern is a) business meeting, b) show and tell, c) informational program, and d) member auction. Only the last segment was missing for this initial meeting. It may take a little longer to get auction material in the pipeline. Next month, the club will hear a presentation from its founder, who has since moved to Georgia.

2 2



16 Comments


Recommended Comments

Congratulations!

First order of business: find out what happened to all those roadside stands you're partial to -- and I distinctly remember from the late 1960's.

Link to comment

This is very exciting! As I inch closer to finishing my degree, it appears all the more likely that I will once again find myself in the Huntsville or Madison area. Should this occur, I would very much like to join the ranks. 

Link to comment

They seem to already want me to be the club’s ANA club representative. I get to all ANA shows and their previous Rep died last month.

Link to comment
17 hours ago, VKurtB said:

I get to all ANA shows

Postage paid?  They could not have chosen anyone better.  Congratulations and may you have many fun and interesting meetings.   :applause:

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

Postage paid?  They could not have chosen anyone better.  Congratulations and may you have many fun and interesting meetings.   :applause:

I always pay my own transportation costs - air, train, or road. I pay my own hotel for the Spring show, and the ANA picks up my room cost for the August show. I may be able to do the odd show by train from here. From Harrisburg, I was often a train traveler. 

Link to comment
On 6/23/2021 at 3:51 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Congratulations!

First order of business: find out what happened to all those roadside stands you're partial to -- and I distinctly remember from the late 1960's.

[Good News!  Bad News!

First the good:  reports of my premature death -- a quote allegedly widely misattributed to Samuel J. Clemens, (pen name, Mark Twain) -- have been greatly exaggerated.

Now the bad:  despite claims to the contrary a bevy of highly-placed sources within the NGC community -- most notably Administrator, Dena S., that I have not been banned or otherwise deplatformed, I took the liberty of using your apparently unlocked back door to make my presence known and wish all a Happy Halloween!

Link to comment

Congrats about your club resuming activity, Kurt!!! That's great news!! Sadly, the NGC Boards are the closest to thing a coin club that I have in my life.  There are two coin clubs in my area that I could reasonably got to for meetings.  One is a bunch of grumpy old men who only collect U.S. coins and the other is a bunch of nicer old men who only collect U.S. coins.  Sadly, there's not a place for me and my Faustinas and Egyptian Gods exonumia at either one :frown:

 

Edited by Mohawk
Link to comment

My club has been meeting all year and we will have our first show in almost two years this December. 

Link to comment
On 10/30/2021 at 8:16 PM, VKurtB said:

Is deplatforming the same as planing down shoes with stacked heels and soles?

Actually, no!  :roflmao: The announcement of the addition of deplatform (seemingly a cousin of deplaning or disembarking) was made by Merriam-Webster just days ago along with 454 other gems like Oobleck, blank check company, dad bod, vaccine passport, fourth trimester, whataboutism, flutternutter and zero-day.  Interesting, because recently, a paper of record noted a number of words which had been quietly dropped from the dictionary most of which I had never heard of.

Deplatform is apparently the latest way to describe being denied a social platform to express one's views.  BTW, have you taken a look at just how much of your resume (and photo array) is available under your name(s) in Google? The next time a member gives you the third degree, I suggest you deflect them with a simple, "Google me!"  (worship)

Link to comment
On 6/24/2021 at 5:33 PM, VKurtB said:

I always pay my own transportation costs - air, train, or road. I pay my own hotel for the Spring show, and the ANA picks up my room cost for the August show. I may be able to do the odd show by train from here. From Harrisburg, I was often a train traveler. 

...r u going to the ANA consortium on the Space X Dragon, if so have u checked out the ticket price yet?...id opt for the round trip vs the one-way...there mite be an economy class price if u choose the OCISLY mode, but a bumpier ride i hear....

Link to comment
On 10/30/2021 at 7:24 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[Good News!  Bad News!

First the good:  reports of my premature death -- a quote allegedly widely misattributed to Samuel J. Clemens, (pen name, Mark Twain) -- have been greatly exaggerated.

Now the bad:  despite claims to the contrary a bevy of highly-placed sources within the NGC community -- most notably Administrator, Dena S., that I have not been banned or otherwise deplatformed, I took the liberty of using your apparently unlocked back door to make my presence known and wish all a Happy Halloween!

...can i get a refund for the flowers i sent?....

Link to comment
On 10/30/2021 at 9:07 PM, Mohawk said:

Congrats about your club resuming activity, Kurt!!! That's great news!! Sadly, the NGC Boards are the closest to thing a coin club that I have in my life.  There are two coin clubs in my area that I could reasonably got to for meetings.  One is a bunch of grumpy old men who only collect U.S. coins and the other is a bunch of nicer old men who only collect U.S. coins.  Sadly, there's not a place for me and my Faustinas and Egyptian Gods exonumia at either one :frown:

 

...i guess u could de-escalate ur horizon a bit n start a US type set of coins with Roman origin motifs?....liberty cap, winged cap, victory wreath, shield, olive branch, fasces, banded torch, latin motto...tell Grumpy n the six dwarfs that u just arrived from Rome n ur given name was Amerigo Vespucci but u anglicized but dont like lincoln cents...also a lot of the so-called dollars have roman, greek, egyptian motifs incorporated...or best for last just start a foreign coin club in ur neighborhood....

Link to comment
On 10/30/2021 at 10:41 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Actually, no!  :roflmao: The announcement of the addition of deplatform (seemingly a cousin of deplaning or disembarking) was made by Merriam-Webster just days ago along with 454 other gems like Oobleck, blank check company, dad bod, vaccine passport, fourth trimester, whataboutism, flutternutter and zero-day.  Interesting, because recently, a paper of record noted a number of words which had been quietly dropped from the dictionary most of which I had never heard of.

Deplatform is apparently the latest way to describe being denied a social platform to express one's views.  BTW, have you taken a look at just how much of your resume (and photo array) is available under your name(s) in Google? The next time a member gives you the third degree, I suggest you deflect them with a simple, "Google me!"  (worship)

...u n my bud Donald something in common who would have guessed?....

Link to comment
On 10/31/2021 at 2:09 PM, zadok said:

...can i get a refund for the flowers i sent?....

Never mind the flowers, Great One, how were you able to resuscitate all those capital letters?

Link to comment
On 10/31/2021 at 4:40 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Never mind the flowers, Great One, how were you able to resuscitate all those capital letters?

hmmmm...resuscitate very proactive word, they just washed up on the beach n hung them out to dry.....

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now