• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RAJ on COINS

• Last visited

• Days Won

Personal Information

• Occupation
    Retired
  • Hobbies
    Numismatics! 3D Photography American History

Recent Profile Visitors

781 profile views
  1. I am so sorry to hear of David's passing. I met him doing a cool coins segment a few years back and since found many of his videos on the Newman Portal. I corresponded with him occasionally since and he was among my inspirations to do a couple of seminars on Saint Gaudens Double Eagle Varieties. He was alway a gentleman, always helpful, funny, and seemingly everywhere in the numismatic firmament. He will be greatly missed.
  2. I agree. I have multiple copies myself as the book itself may one day be a hot collectable. It is my bible for identifying and collecting saint varieties. Nothing else comes close! Imagine being a niche collector of these for more than a decade and then discovering a wonderful book on the subject! Thanks again Roger for the quality of your scholarship and the depth of your research. 😊
  3. Just a note... there were also quite a few highly graded 1908's from the "Wells Fargo Hoard" ...
  4. How many (properly graded) MS 67 Saints can there be? Not that many I imagine. I would expect a type collector who is only going to buy one "with motto" Saint, and is condition conscious, is likely to be willing to pay a high price. Saints are very baggy in general, so nice ones with no distracting gashes on liberty's shin or flatness in the face seem hard to come by... even in 65. Just my experience. When you do find one that "pops" ... sharp strike, minimal marks, great color and luster ... they are sights to behold!
  5. Wow... I just checked this chat Board... no new entries since September 23rd? Anyway... Roger, do you have any news about projects you are working on? Any new books or revisions coming out soon?
  6. ...and if they blow the asteroid wrangling, and the sucker hits us straight on... we go the way of the dinosaur and no more climate change issues! See? The ultimate case of "to solve a problem, throw money at it!" Meanwhile, back at coins, I just bought Roger's "guide book of Peace Dollars". can't wait to get into it this weekend...
  7. You heard it here first. Expect the Mint to issue a 2033 "tribute" double eagle in 12 years (like the peace and morgan dollars issued this year). The 33's are too important to American numismatics for the Mint to miss yet another opportunity to fleece the public... Of course by then, Gold will be either $10,000 per ounce, or $20 per ounce (depending on whether someone has figured out a way to wrestle '16 psyche' to earth by then...) https://www.gulftoday.ae/lifestyle/2021/08/09/nasa-to-study-16-psyche-asteroid-worth-$10-000-quadrillion
  8. Exactly... I have also seen all of those, except the voluntarily submitted one. I saw the Weitzman coin at the New York Federal Reserve Bank after he bought it...also got to see the gold down in the "vault" there. Very cool.
  9. Mr. Weitzman is now in the numismatic history books... and he had the pleasure of owning a wonderful coin for 19 years... not a bad addendum to his modest investment.
  10. The problem is... going public doesn't only benefit the "sterling characters" you refer to.. it also informs the numismatic low-lifes (and they are out there!) Chances are some of our erudite brethren know who Mr. or Ms. "X" is. As to "furtherance of knowledge" the identity of the new owner will add little to anyone's knowledge of one of the most photographed and documented coins out there. If I bought it (and frankly you don't know that I didn't!), I would sure as hell keep my identity secret...for lots of reasons.
  11. Well Mr. Weitzman's name is now added to the Farouk-Fenton coin, and I would say it was a decent investment, all the while, anonymously! After all, who want's to be hounded by a bunch of coin dealers because they know you have a trophy coin. Have you met some of these guys? Yecch!
  12. I don't blame Mr (or Ms) 2021 for retaining their anonymity. Mr. Weitzman didn't reveal himself as the owner until the coin was consigned for auction 19 years after he bought it. It is nobody's business. Let the current owner enjoy the coin in peace. I personally think it's a good rule of thumb not to blab about one's coin collection for any number of reasons. You can probably tell I'm not a fan of "registry sets". If you want to see one, there are two at the Smithsonian, and the "Langbord 10" get shuttled around when the Mint feels like it. The hype and excitement are greater when one of these ultra rarities comes out of hiding for another auction.
  13. Sad but true... I was not aware of many Saint - Double Eagle counterfeits (other than the "omega" high reliefs.) until I got a copy of Bill Fivaz's 2005 "United States Gold Counterfeit Detection Guide" He has entries for 1907, 1910, 1910-D, 1913, 1915-S, 1921, 1922, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1927, 1927-D, 1929 Have any of you ever come across any of these? (Incidentally, gold plated so called copy "tribute" coins don't count, since they are so awful and could never be mistaken for a real coin...)