• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VKurtB

Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Personal Information

• Occupation
    State Government - Legislative, Retired
  • Hobbies
    Coins, Antique Cameras
    Butt: Northern Alabama, Mind: South Central Pennsylvania

Recent Profile Visitors

5,617 profile views
  1. Truly high end coin auctions are handled at a quite leisurely pace. While a Pennsylvania back country coin auction might sell about 100 coins per hour, when they get to “star of the sale” coins, 36 seconds doesn’t cut it. Five minutes may be taken, particularly if there are phone bidders. At a “real” high end sale, like a Signature sale or Platinum Night sale, the pace is more like 35-40 per hour. Keep in mind, prebids are already in the book.
  2. Darned South Americans. Kinda makes one appreciate Butch and Sundance a little more, doesn’t it?
  3. When you’re a major auction house, ALL fees are negotiable. This includes all fees PAID and all fees CHARGED.
  4. The main reason these dies were horribly overused was the Mint’s absolute CERTAINTY that these coins would be fabulously popular with the public and would soon replace the $1 bill. What can I tell you? It was the Carter Administration.
  5. For so-called “important” collections, so far it has been both. Among the top U.S. collections that come onto the auction market, they have overwhelmingly been raw while still in the hands of the collectors. Frequently the submission for grading and slabbing is done by the auction house, as part of preparing the collection for sale, at GREATLY reduced rates from the “normal” prices. As time marches on, more material will arrive in the market already slabbed, but we’re faaaaaar from a majority in that status. As for the world coin market, slabbed is still a tiny minority.
  6. I normally only get these every few years, but with this crossover, I might want both the 2024 and the 2025.
  7. It’s a DDO. Why are we looking at a reverse close-up?
  8. There is ABSOLUTELY NO activity that a majority of collectors engage in. All are minority activities. Not NGC nor P¢G$ membership, not ANA membership, not attendance at any show, not buying or selling on FleaBay.
  9. There is no requirement that I show evidence or proof of anything. The burden of proof is 100% yours.
  10. When discussing British coins, modern has an obvious line of demarcation - decimalisation.